ROOT CAUSE MASTERY: FOR AUDITORS, EXAMINERS, AND ANALYSTS
CLARIFY what the problem is and is not.
MAP a trail from the symptom to the root cause(s).
GENERATE ideas to solve the root cause problem and select the most appropriate solution using decision matrices.
IDENTIFY the root cause using the appropriate RCA investigative tools.
RECOGNIZE common barriers to root cause analysis and apply techniques to overcome those barriers.
The ability to conduct effective root cause analysis is an essential tool to have as a skill set. Yet, root cause analysis methods are rarely taught or practiced, leading to thousands of wasted hours solving the wrong problems on large scale auditing projects. This course is an intensive 8-hour or 12-hour hands-on, experiential learning course. We will teach the six most common methods of root-cause analysis that can be used powerfully by any personnel, project manager, or organizational leader. Mastery will be achieved by breaking into teams and practicing each method based on scenarios provided.
You will leave this course with a practical, experiential basis to start incorporating root cause analysis into your own position at your organization.
This course includes significant break-out time to build skill; therefore, participants must be ready to master the content and spending 70% of their time building their mastery in finding and solving the root cause issues.
8 to 12 Hour Versions in Person
Online Live with Instructor
Detailed Course Content
Lesson 1 Introduction: Root Cause Analysis Overview
- Overview of Root Cause Analysis
- Problem Types
- Problem Definitions
- Case Studies, Method Selection
Lesson 2: Forming the Team
- Identifying key personnel
- Group problem solving
- Building root cause analysis into projects
- Problem solving simulation
Lesson 3: Finding the Root Cause
- Methods of completing root cause analysis
- Explore chains of causes, cause and effect charting
- Study interrelationships and the need for evidence
- Use data analysis & investigative tools
- Identify root causes
- Breakout sessions by team to practice choosing the appropriate root cause method
Lesson 4: Fix the Root Cause
- Propose potential solutions
- Solution brainstorming
- Solution qualification
- Develop action plan to implement solution
- Recommending effective solutions
- Breakout sessions by team to practice problem solving using the appropriate root cause method
Lesson 5: Overcoming Barriers
- Barriers to Root Causes Analysis
- Solutions to Barriers
- Real world simulation of crisis requiring immediate solution